Exhaust Heat Recovery Units (ESG1’s)
Since our company started in 1974, H. Ertel Inc. has been helping customers increase the efficiency of their engine & turbine-driven generator sets by recovering heat from jacket H20, intercoolers, lube oil and exhaust gas. Cain Industries offers both liquid type (typically ethylene-glycol-H20 or propylene-glycol-H20) and steam generating EHRU’s.
These operate in waste exhaust temperatures from 350° F-1900° F.
Fuels: natural gas, landfill gas, bio-gas, #2 & #6 fuel oils and coal
Volume flow rates: 20 – 50,000 SCFM with 300,000,000 BTU/hour input maximum.
For ESG1 steam generating type, Cain offers 48 pre-engineered models with output from 20 – 500 boiler HP and operating steam pressures from 3 – 450 PSIG. On engine exhaust applications, this covers 400KW – 7 MW. All ESG1 are designed, manufactured and stamped in accordance with Section 1 of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and National Board.
All ESG1 units include:
- Welded or brazed fin tube heat transfer section (H20 tube type) with main inspection door for tube removal and main inspection access port for cleaning and/or inspection, individual serpentine, removable tube rows for ease of cleaning. Reinforced Enclosure With 304 S.S. Baffles and 4″ Minimum Thickness Insulation; Gas-Tight 10 GA. Carbon Steel Shell.
- Integral steam flash circulating drum assembly, with 1″ insulation which produces 99% dry steam. Automatic modulating (to maintain constant Steam Discharge Pressure), full port exhaust bypass system with S.S. damper & shaft, with external high temperature bearings and packing glands to minimize leakage.
- ANSI standard hot H20 circulating pump w/ TEFC motor & mechanical seal to maintain high H20 flow & minimum fouling.
- Main drum Blowdown Valve Assembly, Continuous Surface Blow-Down Valve, H20 Level Control Blowdown Valve—all Manifolded To Single Blowdown Connection.
- Safety Controls include: High/Low Level H20 Cutout, Excess Steam Pressure Cutout, Low Air Pressure Cutouts for Pneumatic Exhaust Bypass Actuator, ASME & Nat. Board Stamped Steam Safety Relief valve
- H20 Level Control System w. fully modulating Boiler Feedwater Pump level control and valve assembly w/ boiler feedwater on/off auxiliary switch. H20 level Sightglass, Drain cock, Gauges for Steam,
Feedwater, Pump Cooling H20, and Air Indication are provided on Skid-mounted, all inter-piped and valved, Plug & Play Assembly
- NEMA 12 Control Panel for (1) Main power connection, with Main Fuse Disconnect and Starter, Fuse-protected stepdown Transformer, Power & Run Indication Lights, Low & High H20 Alarm Lights &
Low Air & Excess Steam Pressure Alarm Lights
- All units Hydro-Tested, all components and electrical controls tested Prior to shipment
- Can be installed Outdoors with Optional Weather-proof, Insulated Enclosure
Liquid EHRU’s, (UTR, UTR1, HRSA, HRSR’s)
Liquid type Exhaust Heat Recovery Units are used in Heat Sink types:
Engine Jacket Water, Ethylene-Glycol/H20, Propylene Glycol-H20, Process H20 and Boiler H20. Either full-counterflow, Round HRSA, (15-150 KW), or Rectangular UTR, (15-300 KW), are Ideal for Under Hood or Enclosed, “Low Profile” Engine Exhaust applications.
The HRSA features:
- Optional fixed or removable spiral fin-tube bundle for ease of inspection and cleaning
- Optional Stainless Steel Shell and/or Internal Insulation
- Optional Internal or External Exhaust Bypass, Stainless Steel Diverter Drum
- Vertical or Horizontal Condensate Drain
- Mounting Brackets for Vertical or Horizontal Installation
- Optional ASME Code Stamp
- (65) Standard Models
- “Residential” 25 dBA level Exhaust Noise Attenuation
- Optional compact Circulating Pump for Secondary Liquid Flow System with 1″ NPT Interconnecting Piping to & from Main Liquid Flow loop
- (44) Standard Models with Flexible Exhaust Gas Connections & Sizes
- Core Removable without disturbing Exhaust Gas Connections; for
- Optional Exterior Exhaust Gas Bypass & Modulating Actuator Assembly
- SA178 Boiler Tubing is standard with .25″ thick high-grade Carbon Steel shell
- Optional All Stainless Steel Fin-tubes for applications where Gas exceeds 1250 Deg.F and Liquids are Under 120 Deg.F
- Stainless Steel lined Interior w/ 1″, 2″ or 4″ Optional Internal Insulation
- Optional 1″ NPT Condensate Drain
- Welded-on Handles to assist in Easy Bundle Removal
The UTR features:
Easy Inspection & Cleaning of Gas & Liquid sides
For applications on medium and high KW or HP engines & processes, Cain Industries offers Great Flexibility; and designs with & w/o Exhaust Bypass, in Vertical or Horizontal configurations, some with Optional Liquid Temperature Control and Manual or Automatic Diverter.
The UTR1 features:
- Over (170) Standard Configurations, Highest Heat Transfer, (10 MW), in Minimum Required Space, Optional ASME Code Stamp
- “Parallel” piping arrangement for High Liquid Flow vs. “Series” piping arrangement for Lowest flows
- Internal Factory Insulation, 2″ – 6″ Thick is Optional
- Locatable Above engine or on Floor to fit Least Available Space
- Easy Access of Fin-Tube Bundle allows Quick Removal of Finned
- Optional Inspection Door with Welded-on Handles
- 10 Gauge Carbon Steel Shell, Seam-welded
- H-Beam Support Base
- Optional 1-1/2″ NPT Condensate Cleanout Drain
- ¾” NPT Vent and Lifting Lugs are Standard
- Fin-tube “Rack-out” Serpentine Rows for Easy Removal
- Optional Square to Round Exhaust Duct Transition Pieces
- Optional, Rotating Soot Blowers, Automatic or Manual
- Fin-tube spacings Available from Bare Tube Up thru 8 Fins Per Inch
Tube Rows or Core Assemblies without Disturbing Exhaust Connections. Makes Inspection & Cleaning Routine to Minimize
Maintenance Cost and Maximize Heat Recovery Efficiency and Profit!
& Handling & Cleaning
On Applications where Integral Exhaust Bypass is Needed, the HRSR Is the Most Advantageous, Complete Assembly on the Market—and the Most Versatile.
The HRSR features:
- Optional ASME Code Section VIII “U”, “UM” “S”, National Board Registered, CRN and/or CSA
- Single row Tube Configuration for Easiest Cleaning
- Integral Exhaust Diverter w/ S.S. Damper Shaft & Blade
- Outboard Mounted Bearing to Reduce Temperature, Prolong Life
- H-Beam Support with Vertical Configuration Standard for Minimum Foot-print, with standard Lifting Lugs
- No Need for Crane, (2) Men for Heavy Bundle Removal to Clean
- Modulating Actuator, (optional Pneumatic or Electric)
- 10 Gauge Thick Carbon Steel Exterior, w/ 304 S.S. Internal Lining
- Thermocouple & ¾” Vent
- Header Manifold for LOW Liquid Pressure Drop, (< 2 PSI Typical)
- Multi-pass, Counter-flow for Highest Efficiency & Performance
- Optional Hinged Access Door with Handle for Ease of Fin-tube
- Optional NEMA 12 Control Panel used with Timed Soot Blower and Liquid Temperature Control
- Manual Bypass Adjusting Plate and Arm Assembly to Lock Damper In Desired Position
- Optional Horizontal Configuration for Roof-top & Low Profile Applications
- Optional Removable “Swagelok” Compression Fittings for Speedy
- Connections Available in Size Required with NPT or Flanged Connections
- Capacities up thru 6 MW
- No Tube to Tube or tube to Header joint welds are in contact with
- Either 80 PSIG Compressed Air or Steam used for Timed Soot Blower
- Manual or Programmable Automatic Timed Soot Blower
- Optional “Outdoor” Paint Treatment for Installations Indoors & Outdoors in All Climates
- Much Lighter & Smaller than Typical “Fire-tube” Bundle type Competitor’s Designs which are Subject to Clogging of Tubes & Dramatic Efficiency Loss due to Build-up after relatively short
Operating time—and which could experience Explosion with Loss Of Cooling Fluid
- “Industrial Grade” (10-18 dBA) Exhaust Noise Attenuation
Inspection & Removal & Cleaning to Maintain Maximum Heat Recovery and R.O.I.
Withdrawal and Inspection/Cleaning & Re-Installation
Exhaust Gas to minimize potential for vessel failure